Monday, January 19, 2009

One Man's Dream and Courage Changed My Culture

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Have you thought about how your life is different because of Martin Luther King, Jr.? My real estate business and my relationships at all levels are enriched because he had the courage to challenge the status quo. When I went to high school, I was in a slightly mixed racial culture; but I had no idea how it was dominated by the whims and preferences of the white culture, even in the early 70’s when the law said "equality meant equality". During that time period, I cherished the friendships of my African-American brothers and sisters through high school and college. I went on living my life as I always had; but during the mid-90’s, I realized that everything wasn’t smooth, everything didn’t fit together nicely. I learned through racially diverse preachers at Promise Keepers in Indianapolis that men and women of color were still being discriminated against and that I had to seek forgiveness of the sins of my fathers. This wasn’t my dad that I’m writing about, it would be dozens of generations who have suppressed men and women because their skin did not look like mine. I sought God in prayer, wanted repentance and forgiveness for me and the generations which came before me, as well as the ones that I can influence which come after me.

In December, I was taking my dear daughter, Katie, to Bloomington for a final exam. It was going to be on the effect of media and public policy. We talked about the peaceful demonstrations of brave patriots like Martin Luther King, Jr. If I had known then what I know now, I would have wanted to aid in their cause.

As I was driving home this evening, I realized that the real estate market has drastically evolved during my thirty-plus year long career. Now, any race and any religion can execute their right to live any where, any time. Now, there are no glass fences out there. All people are welcome everywhere.

As I recap, I feel that Martin Luther King, Jr. gave me the opportunity to be a better man. I have worked with clients and associates of all color and my life has been enriched. I got the opportunity to sharpen my skills because race does not create barriers, it creates opportunity. I love it when I can look at the screen savers of our computers at home because they’re filled with photos of friends of all races including mixed races, reminding me that each child of God is valuable and worthy of respect. Because Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. proclaimed his dream, I’ve been able to live more of mine. Praise God for his courage.

1 comment: